Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Music for Migraines: 3 Soothing CDs

Today, I had a migraine. It certainly wasn't my first - I've been getting them every so often since sixth form - but this one was particularly unpleasant because it occurred in the office. My usual response to a migraine is to go and lie down in a darkened room, but this isn't really an option when you're in work and your bed is several miles away, so I just had to tough it out. Not fun!

Music has been a key ingredient in my survival of previous migraines, so I thought I'd share a trio of top headsoothers with you guys today. One's taste in music can be significantly altered by a migraine; suddenly, you crave songs without edges, the sort of songs you'd probably find boring under normal circumstances.

With that in mind, here are three good albums to have handy when your head starts a-hurtin':

Black Noise by Pantha du Prince
I mainly bought Black Noise for its beautiful artwork (that painting could tame a migraine all on its own), and while I'm not usually much interested in the soft beats that make up the album itself, they do make a wonderful headache treatment.


*

Walking Wounded by Everything But the Girl
This is a recent acquisition (Sully Car Boot Sale, £1) but I can already see it becoming a go-to favourite for bedtime and headaches. Songs like Big Deal are strangely sassy without ever threatening to grate on the brain.


*

Last of the Country Gentlemen by Josh T. Pearson
Ah, Josh Pearson - how many Album Wall blog posts will you pop up in? This album isn't as smooth-sounding as the other two, but the complete lack of percussion and electricity is quite pleasant, and the...plaintive lyrical content makes this a great album for wallowing in one's own migrainey misery.


What are your favourite aspirin albums? Which discs do you reach for in the event of a headache? Let everyone know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of King Creosote and Jon Hopkins' Diamond Mine - a beautiful album that seems to take any weight from my shoulders as soon as the chattering begins on the first track. Hope you've recovered post-migraine!

    ReplyDelete