Monday, October 27, 2014

10 Fucking Songs

Last week, I went on Twitter to complain about how long it had been since I last sat down and made a proper playlist. Eager to crack my knuckles and exercise my track-selecting skills, I asked people to suggest potential themes; Ash Cooke's suggestion (famous painters) proved too tricky, especially given my self-imposed "no songs I don't have" rule, but this suggestion from @Archrawr seemed a lot more doable:


In fact, I decided that "sweary songs" would be too broad a playing field, and so I added an extra restriction of my own: my playlist would solely consist of songs with the word 'fuck' in them.

With that in mind, here's the playlist that I came up with:

1. Add It Up - Violent Femmes (from Violent Femmes)
"Why can't I get just one fuck? I guess it's got something to do with luck."
The ultimate anthem for sexually frustrated teens.


2. Rootless Tree - Damien Rice (from 9)
"Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you and all we've been through!"
Why write an eloquent, article break-up song when the F-word is more powerful anyway?


3. What a Fucking Lovely Day! - Stephin Merritt (from Showtunes)
"Ah, the smell of despair! Is that blood in my hair? I don't care, I don't care - what a fucking lovely day!"
What a Lovely Day! would have been a rather pleasant song. What a Fucking Lovely Day! is a murderer's laughter set to music.


4. The Dark Center of the Universe - Modest Mouse (from The Moon & Antarctica)
"It took a lot of work to be the ass that I am, and I'm really damn sure that anyone can equally easily fuck you over."
Isaac Brock wonders why he bothered honing his dickhead skills when every human being is an ultra dickhead anyway.
5. Of Walking Abortion - Manic Street Preachers (from The Holy Bible)
"Who's responsible? You fucking are! Who's responsible? You fucking are!"
In this case, the F-word is just there to make sure we get the message. It's even repeated a few times for emphasis.


6. Closer - Nine Inch Nails (from The Downward Spiral)
"I want to fuck you like an animal, my whole existence is flawed, you get me closer to God."
NIN's most notorious five minutes find Trent Reznor torn between his filthy animal instincts and some higher calling - it's a profanity-laden battle between the id and the superego, and nothing but 'fuck' would do to describe getting down 'n' dirty in the downest 'n' dirtiest way possible.


7. Oxford Comma - Vampire Weekend (from Vampire Weekend)
"Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?"
You do, presumably, if you bothered to learn what an Oxford comma is.


8. Fucker - Eels (from the Novocaine for the Soul single)
"Something about you, something about spending the afternoon asleep in your arms. I hate you. Fucker."
A love song, but with a perfect shock ending. Smitten doesn't always mean happy.


9. Fuckingsong - Jarvis Cocker (from Further Complications)
"Turn it up, turn me on, I'm feeling good, but don't get me wrong...'cause I know it's just a fucking song."
This is a clever play on words - it may be just a fucking song, but Jarvis makes it clear that he wrote it in lieu of actual sex. Since he can't literally penetrate you, he's penetrating your conciousness with his song instead (apparently this is the next best thing). Ergo, he's fucking you with the song.


10. Road to Joy - Bright Eyes (from I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning)
"I could have been a famous singer if I had someone else's voice, but failure's always sounded better - let's fuck it up boys! MAKE SOME NOISE!"
Conor Oberst neatly demonstrates why he'll never be a mainstream pop star (and why the alternative is more fun anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment