Friday, July 10, 2015

Looking Forward to the Rest of 2015

This whole week has been dedicated to The Album Wall's 2015 Halftime Report. I've already shared my favourite songs and albums of the year so far; now it's time to look to the future.

Here are five albums (not including the Iron Maiden album and the potential Tindersticks album that I discussed last week) that I'm looking forward to hearing in the latter months of 2015:

The Most Lamentable Tragedy by Titus Andronicus
Out July 28

If there's one band I from whom I really, really want to hear a five-act, multi-disc rock opera, it's Titus Andronicus. They already proved their ability to make untedious long albums with The Monitor, and early signs suggest that they'll be able to do the pretentious concept album thing (lot's of fun) without actually making over-pretentious music (less fun). Case in point: lead single Dimed Out, a body-blow of a punk rock song that's probably more enjoyable than anything that's ever been tagged 'rock opera' in the past.


Wasting Away and Wondering by The School
Out September 4

If you haven't heard of The School, you need to get your boots on. They're an ace Cardiff-based band (signed to Spain's Elefant Records) who burn hella candles for the sweet, sweet pop songs of the pre-Woodstock '60s. Check out Do I Love You?, the first single from their forthcoming third album:




Nice, isn't it? I really enjoyed The School's previous album, and frankly its follow-up is long overdue, so I'm pretty excited for this one.


Faith in the Future by Craig Finn
Out September 11

I wrote a blog about this one pretty recently. Just go and read that.


Ones and Sixes by Low
Out September 11

I know that a lot of people really, really liked The Invisible Way, but I frankly like my Low with a little more oomph (for the record, I've only heard the three most recent Low albums, but of that trio, C'mon is far and away my favourite). The early signs for this new'un are good in that regard; heck, the teaser track sounds like Eminem's Lose Yourself, one of the oomphiest tracks I can think of.


Grey Tickles, Black Pressure by John Grant
Out October 2

John Grant's name became a trending topic when this album was announced last month. I was worried he'd died, but I was thrilled to find that he was not only still alive but planning to release another record! Queen of Denmark is one of my favourite albums ever, and Pale Green Ghosts is no slouch either, so I'm super-curious to hear what JG's terrifying new direction sounds like in full.

So that's it for Halftime Report week. What albums are YOU looking forward to hearing in what's left of 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment