Friday, August 15, 2014

How I Plan to Spend My Birthday Money

Yesterday was my 23rd birthday. I received a whole bunch of nice presents, but for the purposes of today's blog, this was the big one:


That is a £40 gift voucher for Spillers Records (thanks mum and dad!) All I need to do now is decide what to spend it on. It's been a while since I went for a SpillerBinge, and so my New Music wishlist has started to look a little bloated:

Pictured: 9 of 28


Still, there are a few albums that I've sort of mentally prioritised above all others - here are three CDs that I'll be particularly looking out for on my birthday trip to The Big Spill:

The Voyager by Jenny Lewis
I love Rabbit Fur Coat by Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins, and while I don't believe that this album will be quite so country-tinged, I'm still eager to hear it. Everything I've read about The Voyager thus far has been pretty damn positive, and I caught a quick snatch of the lead single on Radio 2 a few weeks ago that sounded rather promising.

Hyperborea by Flamingods
They were my band of Knee Deep, and my CD collection now feels utterly incomplete for the absence of Flamingods music. I can't imagine that their album will hit the same dizzy heights as their live show did, but still, I'm very keen to add Hyperborea to The Wall for future enjoyment.

Have You Ever Done Something Evil? by Hallelujah the Hills
I've never listened to Hallelujah the Hills - not that I can remember, at least - but somebody on Twitter told me that I should check this album out, and nothing gets me fired up like a recommendation. The title and the artwork are both pretty cool, and the guy who suggested this album is a big fan of Modest Mouse, so I'm positive that it won't disappoint.

Are there any other new albums that ought to be added to my ever-expanding wishlist? Any recent releases that deserve my voucher more than the three listed above? Let me know in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny Lewis is a genius - strong choice! Rilo Kiley were great, and her voice is so versatile it works with a big slab of indie or a country tinged ballad. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete