Friday, July 1, 2016

June Playlist: This Ledge I'm On

Welcome to the second half of 2016, motherfuckers! As June is now over, here are 10 of the tracks I've been rocking on the regular over the past month...


1. It Was Christmas When I Fell Apart - Little My
(from Beeps)
Contrary to what this song's title might suggest, Little My's Beeps is a lovely, summery listen with loads and loads of fun pop moments. Read my review here.


2. First Love / Late Spring - Mitski
(from Bury Me at Makeout Creek)
I've been listening to Puberty 2, Mitski's new album, and I think I'm going to love it but it's one of those records that needs a little time to grow. More on that later this month; until then, here's a crashing highlight from her previous LP, Bury Me at Makeout Creek, whose lyrics I paired with pictures of Milhouse Van Houten from The Simpsons last week.


3. Apothecary Love - The Low Anthem
(from Smart Flesh)
The Low Anthem also released a new album (Eyeland) this month, and as with Puberty 2, I'm currently still getting to grips with it. I really like parts of it, while other bits seem so deliberately 'weird' and 'experimental' that I find them a bit offputting, to be honest. Maybe I'll change my mind after a few listens, but even if I don't, at least I'll always have Smart Flesh, a truly beautiful listen that makes me feel all warm and peaceful inside whenever I hear it.


4. Don't Look Down - Tindersticks
(from Curtains)
Always nice to come back to this album from time to time. This swooping, dramatic song in particular never fails to thrill.



5. Homeward Bound - Kate Jackson
(from British Road Movies)
Kate Jackson was the lead singer in The Long Blondes, and she recently released her first solo album, British Road Movies (reviewed here). It's a pretty diverse album - each track has a different sound and feel to the one before it - but I'd wager that anyone who bought British Road Movies because they heard that Bernard Butler was involved in its creation will like Homeward Bound, the album's most early-Suedey track, most of all.


6. Young Love - Sun Kil Moon
(from Among the Leaves)
Yes, Mark Kozelek is a pillock, but I can't stop loving Among the Leaves, especially this beautiful track. The wintry lyrics aren't particularly well-suited to this time of year, but screw it - the first song of this month's playlist was called It Was Christmas When I Fell Apart, and I didn't hear any of you complaining about that.



7. Daydreaming - Radiohead
(from A Moon Shaped Pool)
I wanted to include the krautrocky Ful Stop here, but as far as I can tell there's no studio version of it on YouTube. Never mind, though; while I'm still not totally sure how I feel about A Moon Shaped Pool as a whole, I am very on board with this captivating track and its circling, repetitive piano motif.


8. Keep Yourself Warm - Frightened Rabbit
(from The Midnight Organ Fight)
An oddly uplifting song about unfulfilling one-night stands. I looked at The Midnight Organ Fight and the way it portrays sex earlier this week.


9. Liliputt - Beth Jeans Houghton & The Hooves of Destiny
(from Yours Truly, Cellophane Nose)
Beth Jeans Houghton performs under the name Du Blonde nowadays, and Welcome Back to Milk is an album I mean to check out very soon. But let's not let this reinvention erase the memory of Yours Truly, Cellophane Nose, a truly unique and wonderful album that I still find rewarding several years after I first bought it. For instance, I only recently noticed the descending three-note figure that plays in between Beth's lyrics towards the end of Liliputt (the first instance of this can be heard at 3:09 in the video above).


10. Wind Yr Neck In - Towel
(from Wipe Me Dry)
This album was recommended to me by not one but two of the people who responded to my music consumption survey a couple of months ago. One of its tags on Bandcamp is 'misandry', which is as good a description as any: Wind Yr Neck In, for instance, rails angrily against mansplainers and people who constantly "talk down to women".

No comments:

Post a Comment